How to Use Custom Field in RoboForm
If a field is not listed in the Identity Editor, you can define your own Custom Field. Note that the free version of RoboForm only allows 3 custom fields. To take full advantage of RoboForm's Custom Field feature, upgrade to RoboForm Pro.
Custom fields can be defined in the Custom tab of the Identity Editor shown as below.
For each custom field you need to specify (from left to right):
- Field Name: It identifies the field, used as the Main Match String for the field.
- Field Value: Determines what RoboForm puts into an online form field.
- Other Match Strings: A list of text captions that are used to match this field in an online form. One line one option, press ENTER for more options.
Field Name and Other Match Strings together constitute Match String List of the custom field. If a match is found, the Field Value is used to fill the online field. The matched word sequence must be a subset of the entire online field caption, which means that words in the sequence must be exactly the same and their order must be exactly the same. For exact match, use "=" in front of the option. However, all matches is not case sensitive.
Check-Box FieldsRoboForm has no standard checkbox fields, so you need to create a custom field to fill checkbox fields. The Match Strings of this field are described as below:
- Use "*" value to cause checking of the checkbox field,
- Use "0" value (starting with RF ver 6.9.4) to cause unchecking of the checkbox.
- Empty value "" to ignore the checkbox (no checking or unchecking).
Checkbox Filling Example: Add custom field named "18 or over" and give it an "*" value. It will check any check box that has "18 or over" in its caption.
Radio Button Fields
RoboForm can fill custom radio button fields using Custom Field. Just add Field Name to match the radio button and give it a Field Value of option you want to check.
Radio Filling Example: Add custom field named "Marital Status" and input any of these values: "Married", "Single", "Divorced", "Widow".
HTML Field Name Matches
If your field has no text caption at all (for example: it only has a picture caption), then HTML field names are used for matching.
Example: Add custom field named "Attitude", its value being "Positive". The field that has picture as a caption and "attitude" as its HTML name will be matched.
Learn Custom Field by More Examples
Example 1: You want RoboForm to fill "Message" field with "My Great Speech". This field may also have captions "Your Comments" and "Say It Here".
Open Identity Editor by Taskbar > Identities > Edit. In the Custom tab, find a new line and enter:
* Field Name: enter "Message",
* Field Value: enter "My Great Speech",
* Other Match Strings: enter "Comments", press ENTER, enter "Say It Here".
Click Save & Close to exit.
Example 2: You want RoboForm to fill in a resume for you at an online job search site. Add a custom multiline field named "Resume" (this will match any caption with word resume in it) and assign it a multiline value "John Smith <ENTER>VirtuCon 1997-99<ENTER>Chief Designer".